I spent last night karaoke-ing my little heart out, and man, did it feel amazing! I JUST LOVE IT. It’s so liberating to release your inhibitions and just go for it. Holding back is not an option when you’re finally up on stage, and it feels really good to have the whole crowd joining in.
If you want to feel like a rockstar, I suggest picking one of these three, tried, true and tested, options:
- “Survivor” Destiny’s Child- The incomparable Beyonce leads one of the best girl empowerment, shouting songs of the new millenium. Definitely a trickier song, you have to be good at fast talking/reading, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll be thanking me…
- “ABC” The Jackson Five- I was debating between this and the other Jackson Five classic, “I Want You Back”. Ultimately, I picked this one. I think it’s sliiiiightly more well known, and really appeals to a fun, crowd setting. Tip: point your mike to the crowd and they’ll join in even more loudly than before!
- “I Want It That Way” Backstreet Boys- Who doesn’t love a little Nick Carter action? The constant push-and-pull between NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys has ended in a clear victory for the BB’s. I sang this last night, and I have never felt more like I was floatin’ on cloud nine. I felt like it was 1999 all over again! (Don’t actually remember much from 1999…crazy year, being four and all.)
If you want to be despised and yanked offstage, which nobody wants!, pick one of these three: **Disclaimer: I love all of these songs, but they’re just not right for a karaoke setting.
- “Hotel California” Eagles- Great song, super long…super lully…nobody wants to hear you sing that.
- “American Pie” Don McLean- Far too complicated for a novice karaoke-er.
- “Wonderwall” Oasis- You might as well be the tool whipping out his guitar at the end of a party.