In the wake of yesterday evening’s most recent GOP debate, I thought I’d take a bit of a political turn…just kidding. Well, sort of. Ever wondered why your parents always associate Fleetwood Mac’s “Don’t Stop” with Bill Clinton? Here’s the answer chickies: It was his campaign song! Kind of interesting, right? I’m realizing I don’t know a lot of our Presidents’/Candidates’ campaign songs. It’s like not knowing their anthems! Their mottos! (If you do know them, that’s pretty cool! I love random facts, so I applaud your persistent quest for knowledge.)
Anyway, here were a few of my favorites:
- Lyndon B. Johnson chose to alter the lyrics from “Hello, Dolly” to “Hello, Lyndon”, a spin on the popular Broadway song.
- John McCain and Sarah Palin used Heart’s “Barracuda.” My only other memory of this song is from the “Charlie’s Angels” movie with Lucy Liu, when she walks into a room. Ooooo! Barracuda! Seems a bit bizarre.
(skip to 1:45)
- Gotta love FDR’s “Happy Days are Here Again.” Definitely symbolic considering the time in American History. We needed some happy days!
- “I Won’t Back Down” was George W. Bush’s choice in 2000. Great video produced in the wake of 9/11.
- Bob Dole’s lyrical changes to “Soul Man” by Sam and Dave were marvelous! Unfortunately, I can’t find a recording anywhere! Towards the end of this Conan Interview there are some pretty funny spoofs.
Can’t forget “Don’t Stop”, but I don’t want to post it just for fear of having the song stuck in my head all afternoon.
Leave a Reply